How To Effectively Prevent Cockroach Infestations In Lake Mary
August 15, 2022 - Cockroaches
While the warm and humid Florida weather lends itself to sunny outings and beach days, your Lake Mary home will likely be invaded by cockroaches sooner or later. It will then be crucial to eliminate these unwanted pests before they reproduce and transmit dangerous diseases like cholera, dysentery, and gastroenteritis.
If you are struggling with a cockroach infestation, it is time to learn why cockroaches are dangerous and how you can prevent them from invading with prevention tips and effective cockroach control. If cockroaches have taken over your home, Hawkeye Home & Pest Solutions provides pest control in Lake Mary you can rely on to eliminate them safely and prevent them from returning.
The Different Types Of Cockroaches To Invade Homes
There are several types of cockroaches within the Lake Mary area, including the following:
- The German cockroach is the most common one. It is about half an inch long and is generally light brown with two dark lines going down its head.
- The American cockroach is one of the most prominent types and can be up to an inch and a half long. It is reddish-brown with very long antennae.
- The oriental cockroach is about an inch long and dark brown to black.
All cockroaches have six legs and wings. However, their wings are generally not functional, and those that do fly can only do so for very short distances during hot weather.
What do Cockroaches Look Like?
Cockroaches have six legs, but they can use them to go up walls and ceilings, unlike some other insects. Their wings are often not functional. Only a few types of cockroaches can fly, and they only do so if it is necessary. They have two long, segmented antennae and a cockroach exoskeleton hard to crush. In general, male cockroaches are smaller than females. If you find a cockroach in your house, now is to learn why they can be dangerous.
How Are Cockroaches Dangerous?
Cockroaches are unsanitary insects that are dangerous for many reasons, including the following:
- Vectors of dangerous diseases like cholera and dysentery
- Carry salmonella, staphylococcus, and streptococcus bacteria
- Carry viruses like polio
- Cockroaches can trigger allergic reactions and cause asthma attacks.
Cockroaches can cause many diseases and health issues simply by being in contact with your skin or being in proximity to your food supply. If you see signs of a cockroach infestation, it is crucial that you get rid of it as soon as possible.
Useful Cockroach Prevention Tips
Living in Florida puts you at risk of having a cockroach problem in your home. The following tips can help you prevent an infestation:
- Seal all entry points that cockroaches might use to get inside your home, including the window frames, door frames, and cracks in the structure of your home.
- Cockroaches require water to survive. Eliminate sources of standing water, fix leaks, and make sure that your drains are operational.
- Keep all food sources away from cockroaches, which means keeping food in sealed containers, only possessing enough food to last a few days, cleaning up all surfaces and floors regularly, and making sure garbage cans and garbage disposals are clean.
While these tips can be practical at keeping cockroaches away, they might not be enough. If cockroaches have made their way inside your home despite your best efforts, it might be time to contact a professional cockroach exterminator in Lake Mary to get rid rid of cockroaches for good.
The Most Effective Cockroach Control
The most effective cockroach control tips are a mix of daily habits to deter cockroaches combined with professional cockroach treatments. From non-chemical treatments to baits and traps, our licensed technicians have the experience needed to provide a treatment plan that fits your needs to get rid of cockroaches for good.
Don’t let cockroaches take over your home. Once they settle and start to reproduce, eliminating them becomes increasingly more difficult. By tackling the infestation as soon as you notice it, you have a better chance of returning to a cockroach-free home quickly and preventing your cockroach problem from returning. Reach out to us today to learn more about our home pest control and commercial pest control services.